The cost of insurance from Thrifty Car Rental can vary depending on several factors, including the location, duration of the rental, type of coverage selected, and any additional options or add-ons chosen. Here are some key considerations that can influence the cost of Thrifty Car Rental insurance:
- Location: The cost of insurance can vary based on the country or specific location where you rent the vehicle. Insurance rates may differ depending on local regulations, risk assessment, and insurance market conditions.
- Rental Duration: The duration of your rental can impact the insurance cost. Short-term rentals, such as daily or weekly, may have a different pricing structure compared to long-term rentals, such as monthly rentals. Some rental companies may offer discounted rates for longer rental periods.
- Type of Coverage: The specific type of insurance coverage you choose will affect the cost. Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and liability insurance are typically included in the rental price, but additional coverage options like Personal Accident Insurance or Supplemental Liability Insurance may involve additional costs.
- Additional Options: Thrifty Car Rental may offer additional options or add-ons, such as roadside assistance or additional driver coverage, which can impact the overall cost of the insurance package. These options are typically available for an extra fee.
Thrifty offer 4 levels of coverage –
- Basic – This include Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) that Covers the car 100% with zero financial responsibility for the vehicle, zero out-of-pocket expenses. Thrifty LDW covers all vehicle damage to Thrifty rental car, regardless of fault, provided the renter is not in violation of the Rental Agreement. This coverage also provide theft protection at no additional cost at US locations. Outside of the US, Theft Protection may not be included in LDW, but offered as a separate optional product. Additional charges would apply to add Theft Protection to the rental. The basic coverage also include Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS) (24/7 premium roadside service).
- Standard – The same LDW coverage as “Basic” + Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) – Up to $1 million in liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage + Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS).
- Complete – The same LDW coverage as “Basic” + Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) – Up to $1 million in liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage + Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS) + Personal Effects Coverage & Personal Accident Insurance (PEC/PAI) – Cash payment for property loss and accidental injury or death.
To obtain the precise cost of insurance from Thrifty Car Rental, it is advisable to request a quote or contact their customer service directly. By providing specific rental details and preferences, such as location, dates, and desired coverage, Thrifty Car Rental can provide you with an accurate estimate of the insurance cost associated with your rental.
How Does CarInsuRent Differ from Thrifty LDW?
- CarInsuRent car hire excess insurance starts from as low as $6.49 per day* to $94.90 for an annual policy. Thrifty LDW for damage & theft waiver Can be purchased separately for US$ 22.45 per day. Note that if you purchase Thrifty LDW for Damage you are still liable for excess £100.
- Thrifty Roadside Assistance Protection covers tyre & glass / Replacement keys costs can be purchased separately for an extra fee of US$ 5.39 per day. CarInsuRent car hire excess waiver insurance covers damage to the rental car’s windscreen, auto glass, tyres, undercarriage or roof and is included at the price of the policy.
- CarInsuRent covers baggage and personal belongings – up to US$ 1,500 included at the price.
- CarInsuRent covers the replacement of a lost or stolen Rental Car key.
- CarInsuRent covers exorbitant rental company fees added to your repair bill – including fees for loss of use, processing, relocation and towing.
- CarInsuRent covers single-vehicle accidents – claim even if the damage or theft to your car was not your fault.
- CarInsuRent offers annual worldwide car hire excess Insurance for hiring cars around the world for up to 45 days.
How Much Could You Save on Car Hire Excess Insurance for Your Thrifty Car hire?
Car hire excess insurance for 10 days rental in Europe with CarInsuRent will cost US$64.90 compared to US$ 349.90 when purchasing the equivalent coverage from Thrifty. Total potential saving: US$ 285.
How to File a Claim
- What to Do in Case of an Accident or Damage – If you are involved in an accident while driving a rental car, there are certain steps you should follow to file a claim with the rental car insurance company. First, exchange personal information with the other driver, including name, address, license plate number, rental vehicle information, insurance company, and policy number, and document the accident with pictures and notes. If the other driver is at fault, you should get their contact and insurance information and call their insurance company directly to file a claim. If you are at fault or have non-collision damage, you can file a claim with the rental car insurance company. The process for filing a claim with the rental car insurance company may vary depending on the provider, but typically, you would need to provide details of the incident, including the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as any police report numbers, if applicable. Additionally, you may need to provide documentation of the damage, such as photographs or repair estimates.
- Required Documentation for Filing a Claim
- A copy of the Certificate of Insurance
- A copy of the rental agreement
- A copy of the police report if:
- you got in an accident with a third party
- It is legally mandated in the country of incident
- your claim is about stolen personal belongings
- A copy of the damage report given by the rental company, detailing each cost incurred. Photographs of the damage are optional but may help ensure that the charges are reasonable.
- Detailed repair receipts, invoices or other documents showing the breakdown of the amount the rental company charged you for the accidental damage or loss
- A copy of your credit card statement that reflects your payment for the claimed damages
- A copy of the driver’s license of the person driving the car during the accident
- Tips for a Smooth Claims Process: Filing an insurance claim can be a complicated and stressful process. The following tips can help ensure a smoother claims process:
- Document everything: Documenting all the details of the accident or loss, including taking photos and notes, can help speed up the claims process and reduce the possibility of disputes.
- Communication: Communication is key in any insurance claim process. Keep thorough records of all communication with the insurer, and discuss your expectations for the claims process with the adjuster. You can also ask about the frequency of updates and the preferred type of communication.
- Avoid duplicate claims: Avoid submitting duplicate claims, as it slows down the claims payment process and creates confusion.
- Understand your coverage: It’s important to understand your insurance coverage, including the limits and deductibles, before filing a claim. Understanding your policy can help ensure that you receive the maximum benefit to which you are entitled.
- Be patient: Claims processing can take time, so it’s important to be patient.
By following these tips, you can help ensure a smoother claims process, and increase the chances of receiving the maximum benefit that you are entitled to under your insurance policy.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
In conclusion, having car rental insurance with Thrifty is not mandatory. Thrifty offers several auto insurance products to cover your rental car. While LDW is a part of your rental fee, there is an excess. You purchase Excess Protection, a package offered by Thrifty, that lowers the excess for the majority of cars to zero. The daily fee for this service is US$ 34.99.
Thrifty’s LDW can be the best option if you want the greatest level of comfort and are willing to pay for it. You can save money by shopping around and buy car rental insurance online for as low as $6.49 per day* to $94.90 for an annual policy.
Before choosing an Thrifty rental car insurance policy, you should confirm what level of coverage is included with your personal auto insurance policy or the credit card you used to reserve the vehicle. By doing this, you can avoid paying for the same coverage more than once.
Ultimately, understanding the different types of insurance available to you and making an informed decision can help you have a stress-free and affordable car rental experience with Thrifty.
See How Much You Can Save on Your Car Rental Insurance
In conclusion, this article aims to equip you with the knowledge needed to make an informed decision regarding Thrifty’s Loss Damage Waiver options. By understanding the coverage, costs, and personal considerations, you can confidently select the LDW option that aligns with your needs and enjoy a worry-free car rental experience with Thrifty.