Introduction to Avis Car Rental Insurance
Avis Car Rental is a global leader in the car rental industry, providing rental services in several countries worldwide. When renting a car from Avis, customers have the option of purchasing insurance protection to cover any damages or losses that may occur during the rental period. Avis offers various types of insurance coverage to suit the needs of their customers, including Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Personal Effects Protection (PEP), and Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS). Customers are advised to carefully review the details of each insurance coverage and select the appropriate option based on their specific needs. It’s important to note that if you don’t have your own car insurance, you could end up responsible for significant expenses if you’re in an accident with the rental car. Therefore, it’s recommended to consider purchasing additional insurance coverage from Avis or through other insurance providers such as CarInsuRent to ensure that you’re fully covered in the event of an accident or loss.
Avis Car Rental Insurance Explained – Types of Avis Car Rental Insurance
Avis Car Rental offers various types of insurance coverage to protect renters from financial responsibility in case of accidents, theft, and damage to the rental vehicle. Here are the different types of insurance options that Avis offers:
- Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): This insurance option is designed to relieve renters of the financial responsibility if the rental car is damaged or stolen. LDW is not an insurance policy but rather a waiver of Avis’ right to pursue the renter for the full value of the car. Although it is a part of your rental fee, there is an excess. Should something happen to your rental car, you are financially responsible for this excess. The excess amount at Avis for economy car € 950. Avis’s collision damage waiver covers the following:
- All damage to the Avis rental car
- Coverage for vehicle theft up to the car’s full value.
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): This type of insurance coverage offers protection for the driver and passengers in case of an accident. PAI provides medical coverage for injuries sustained during the rental period. The cost of Avis PAI varies by location, but it typically costs between €5 per day.
- Additional Liability Insurance (ALI): ALI provides additional protection for the renter in case of an accident that results in property damage or bodily injury to someone else. The cost of ALI varies by location, but it typically costs between €10 – €15 per day.
- Windscreen Damage Waiver (WDW) – Windscreen Cover protects you from charges if your rental vehicle’s windscreen is broken or cracked.
Avis Collision Damage Waiver
It’s important to note that these insurance options are not mandatory, and you may decline them. However, if you choose to decline the insurance options, they may be responsible for the full cost of the car in case of damage, theft, or accidents.
Avis Car Rental Insurance coverage options can vary by location, so it’s essential to check with your local Avis office to understand which plans are available to you. It’s also important to note that rental car insurance coverage options are not mandatory, but they offer added protection and peace of mind while driving a rental car.
Avis Car Rental Insurance Cost
The answer to the question “how much is Avis car rental insurance?” can vary depending on the coverage options selected.
While the Avis collision damage waiver is part of your rental fee, it is subjected to an excess. Should something happen to your rental car, you are financially responsible for this excess which ranges between € 950 – € 1500.
Super Cover Collision Damage Waiver, a package offered by Avis, lowers the excess for the majority of cars to € 0. The daily fee for this service is € 15 – € 25 per day. If you purchase CarInsuRent car rental insurance, the excess amount can be eliminated and reduced to zero for as low as $6.49 per day* to $94.90 for an annual policy.
*Prices based on 10 days coverage
Windscreen Damage Waiver (WDW) – cost € 5.00 per day and protects you from charges if your rental vehicle’s windscreen is broken or cracked.
The Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) covers the authorized drivers, passengers and their personal effects and is offered in most locations but can only be purchased at time of pick-up for an additional amount of € 5.00 per day.
See How Much You Can Save on Your Car Rental Insurance
How does CarInsuRent differ from Avis Car Rental Insurance?
- CarInsuRent car hire excess insurance starts from as low as $6.49 per day* to $94.90 for an annual policy. Avis Super Cover Collision Damage Waiver can be purchased separately for € 15 – € 25 per day.
- CarInsuRent covers baggage and personal belongings – up to US$ 1,500 included at the price.
- CarInsuRent covers the replacement of a lost or stolen Rental Car key.
- CarInsuRent covers exorbitant rental company fees added to your repair bill – including fees for loss of use, processing, relocation and towing.
- CarInsuRent covers single-vehicle accidents – claim even if the damage or theft to your car was not your fault.
- CarInsuRent offers annual worldwide car hire excess Insurance for hiring cars around the world for up to 45 days.
*Prices based on 10 days coverage
How much could you save on Car Hire Excess Insurance for your Avis car hire?
Car hire excess insurance for 10 days rental in Europe with CarInsuRent will cost US$64.90 compared to US$ 220 when purchasing the equivalent coverage from Avis. Total potential saving: US$ 155.10.
Do You Need Insurance to Rent a Car From Avis?
Avis typically requires that renters have some form of insurance coverage, although the specific requirements may vary depending on the location and type of rental.
In many cases, your personal car insurance policy may provide coverage for rental cars. You should check with your insurance provider to see what type of coverage you have and whether it applies to rental cars.
Alternatively, you may be able to purchase insurance directly from Avis when you rent the car.
What are Avis Car Rental Insurance Requirements?
What are Avis Car Rental Insurance Requirement?
Avis rental car insurance requirements can vary depending on the location and type of rental, but here are some general guidelines. you must meet minimum requirements related to age and have a debit card in place.
Renters must have a debit card with them at the time of renting so that money can be taken out of their account to pay for the fees.
Avis will advise you against driving without insurance, and will try to sell you their costly Avis car rental insurance. Although it is unwise to drive a rental automobile without insurance, they aren’t being completely honest with their suggestion, thus it seems to reason that you will enroll in a rental car insurance.
How to File a Claim
- What to Do in Case of an Accident or Damage – If you are involved in an accident while driving a rental car, there are certain steps you should follow to file a claim with the rental car insurance company. First, exchange personal information with the other driver, including name, address, license plate number, rental vehicle information, insurance company, and policy number, and document the accident with pictures and notes. If the other driver is at fault, you should get their contact and insurance information and call their insurance company directly to file a claim. If you are at fault or have non-collision damage, you can file a claim with the rental car insurance company. The process for filing a claim with the rental car insurance company may vary depending on the provider, but typically, you would need to provide details of the incident, including the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as any police report numbers, if applicable. Additionally, you may need to provide documentation of the damage, such as photographs or repair estimates.
- Required Documentation for Filing a Claim
- A copy of the Certificate of Insurance
- A copy of the rental agreement
- A copy of the police report if:
- you got in an accident with a third party
- It is legally mandated in the country of incident
- your claim is about stolen personal belongings
- A copy of the damage report given by the rental company, detailing each cost incurred. Photographs of the damage are optional but may help ensure that the charges are reasonable.
- Detailed repair receipts, invoices or other documents showing the breakdown of the amount the rental company charged you for the accidental damage or loss
- A copy of your credit card statement that reflects your payment for the claimed damages
- A copy of the driver’s license of the person driving the car during the accident
- Tips for a Smooth Claims Process: Filing an insurance claim can be a complicated and stressful process. The following tips can help ensure a smoother claims process:
- Document everything: Documenting all the details of the accident or loss, including taking photos and notes, can help speed up the claims process and reduce the possibility of disputes.
- Communication: Communication is key in any insurance claim process. Keep thorough records of all communication with the insurer, and discuss your expectations for the claims process with the adjuster. You can also ask about the frequency of updates and the preferred type of communication.
- Avoid duplicate claims: Avoid submitting duplicate claims, as it slows down the claims payment process and creates confusion.
- Understand your coverage: It’s important to understand your insurance coverage, including the limits and deductibles, before filing a claim. Understanding your policy can help ensure that you receive the maximum benefit to which you are entitled.
- Be patient: Claims processing can take time, so it’s important to be patient.
By following these tips, you can help ensure a smoother claims process, and increase the chances of receiving the maximum benefit that you are entitled to under your insurance policy.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
Avis Car Rental provides various protection and coverage options to its customers, including options for LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), PAI (Personal Accident Insurance), and ALI (Additional Liability Insurance).
Avis Car Rental’s website offers some information on its protection and coverage options, it does not provide specific details on its insurance exclusions. You should carefully review their rental agreement and contact Avis directly with any questions or concerns they may have about their insurance coverage.
While Avis offers LDW rental car insurance, it’s important to review the policy carefully to ensure it meets your needs. If you’re looking for additional coverage, you can save money by shopping around and buy car rental insurance online for as low as $6.49 per day* to $94.90 for an annual policy.
See How Much You Can Save on Your Car Rental Insurance